There is extensive medical evidence from managing diabetes, cardiovascular disease, osteoarthritis and other obesity-related conditions, rapidly increasing over the past decades.
This suggests that engaging with a comprehensive medical weight loss service will be most beneficial to anyone with:
- a BMI of 30 or more, or with
- a BMI over 27 along with one or more of the conditions that are affected by weight.
These conditions include:
- pre-diabetes (HbA1c between 42 and 47 mmol/mol),
- abnormal levels of lipids (cholesterol, triglycerides) in blood,
- obstructive sleep apnoea (seen in association with snoring).
It is particularly suited to anyone who has previously struggled to lose weight, or who has lost weight only to regain it after time. This is because the medical weight loss service targets all aspects of weight loss not just diet or medications alone. The programme also focuses on sustainability, helping participants access and enjoy long-lasting lifestyle changes to ensure their results endure the test of time.
However, it is important that in order to achieve and maintain a healthy weight, you must be ready to:
- commit to your own health,
- identify and address your own beliefs and
- work towards long term lifestyle and behaviour changes.